First Coronavirus Disease Related Death in Kankakee County
Kankakee County Health Department announces the first death of a Kankakee County resident who tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The individual was a Kankakee resident in her 40’s with previous underlying health conditions.
We offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends, and community members affected by this loss. We continue to work closely with our partners at the county EMA, AMITA Health St. Mary’s Hospital, and Riverside Healthcare to reduce the spread and impact of this virus and care for those affected.
During this difficult time we continue to ask the community to take the necessary steps to keep yourself, your family, and your community safe. Continue to follow social distancing recommendations, “Stay at Home” procedures and other safety measures which include:
- Staying home as much as possible,
- Calling to check on family, neighbors, and older adults instead of visiting,
- Checking with your provider about telehealth options if you feel ill,
- Continuing to use proper hand hygiene,
- Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing.
Most importantly stay home if you are sick! Avoid the Emergency Department and other places you seek healthcare if you are not severely ill, unless your doctor advises otherwise. Stay home and keep healthcare access available for others with more severe illness.
Consult with your doctor if:
- You are experiencing fever, cough, shortness of breath or other cold or flu like symptoms that do not improve after three to four days. Use telephone, text, telemedicine or a patient portal to reach out rather than going to your doctor in person if possible.
- You are an older adult or have chronic health conditions of concern (heart disease, diabetes, lung disease) and are exhibiting mild symptoms.
Note: You and your provider will decide if you need to seek medical care. You usually do not need to be tested unless you are admitted to the hospital.
For general questions about COVID-19 visit our website at www.kankakeehealth.org or contact the IDPH COVID-19 hotline at 1-800-889-3931 | email firstname.lastname@example.org.